Effective January 1, 2013, the Register of Deeds Recording Fees will change,
pursuant to Nebraska Rev. Statute 33-109, as amended by LB 14, by the Nebraska Legislature.
Recording fees will be as follows:
1) First page (page 1) $10.00
2) Each additional page $6.00
(Effective 1/1/2013 there no longer is a fee for the legal description)
The above fees pertain to ALL documents filed within the Register of Deeds Office
with the exception of the following which are NO FEE:
1) Federal Tax Lien Termination
2) State Tax Lien Termination
3) UCC Termination
UCC Financing Statements, Assignments, Amendments, Releases, & Partial Releases
will be as follows:
1) First page (page 1) $10.00 Plus $.50 for each attachment
(*NOTE: This fee has not changed)
Documentary Stamp Taxes (Effective 7/1/2005)(LB254):
Documentary Stamps for deeds are at $2.25 per $1,000 of the sale price.
See Documentary Stamp Tax Table.
Certain deeds are exempt from Documentary Stamp.
See Exemption List For Details.
Documentary Stamps have increased from $1.75 to $2.25 effective July 1, 2005.
All deeds must be accompanied by a Real Estate Transfer Statement-Form 521.
Register of Deeds WILL NOT accept a deed for recording unless items 1 through 25 are
properly completed and a Real Estate Transfer Statement, Form 521 is signed.
Please follow the “Instructions” on back of Form 521 for specific instructions per item number.
LB 254 – Provide New Requirements for Instruments recorded in the Office of Register of Deeds
Effective August 27, 2011
Recording Space Requirements:
- Any instrument submitted for recording shall contain a Blank Space at the top of the
First Page which is at least 3” X 8 ½ “
- No attachment or affirmation shall be used in any way to cover any information or
printed material on the instrument.”
(Example- Nothing may be taped or attached to an instrument)
- Every Instrument presented for recording shall have on the first page
*BELOW the 3 inch margin* A return Address and the Title of the Document
Margin Requirements: 1” on both vertical sides, and 1” on the bottom.
This applies throughout the document.
- At least 8½” X 11”, and no larger than 8½” X 14”
- Shall be printed, typewritten or computer generated in Black Ink
- White Paper, of not less than 20lb weight
- Must be legible
- All Signatures on an instrument shall be in Black or dark blue ink
- Names of each party shall be typed, printed, or stamped beneath the original signature.
- Stamps shall not cover or interfere with any part of the instrument.
- Font size shall be at least 8 point
Exceptions to the rule:
- Instruments signed before the effective date of this bill (August 27, 2011)
- Instruments executed outside of the U.S.
- Certified copies from governmental agencies (Death Certificates)
- Instruments signed by an incapacitated or deceased person at the time of recording.
- Instruments formatted to meet court requirements
- State & Federal Tax Liens
- UCC Instruments
- Plats, Surveys, etc.